Thursday, February 12, 2009

Because I love you all....

I'm sharing with you my recipe for the most delicious oatmeal chocolate chip cookies you will ever have! Well, my little cousin claims to have the best recipe, but I haven't tried one of hers yet, so for now, this is what I've got. And I must say, it's the best cookie I've ever made. I can't take all the credit though, I got the recipe from my mom. I don't know where she got it, but in her hand-written recipe book, this recipe is labeled as "The BEST Oatmeal Cookie, EVER!!"  I have to note that my mom likes to do that. She throws the words "BEST EVER" into every recipe that she falls in love with, but this time, she was totally right. Anyway, enough chit chat, let's get to the good stuff. 

Ingredients:
1 c. Crisco shortening
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 c. quick oats
1/2 c. chopped pecans, or other nut (optional, but I promise, they won't be as good without)
1 c. chocolate chips. Or more if you're feeling crazy, which I usually am. 
My mom and brother like to add dried cherries also, but I prefer them without. I do think that the dried cherries would be delish if you were using white chocolate, but I haven't tried that yet.

Directions: preheat oven to 350 degrees
 Cream together the shortening and the sugars. Add vanilla and eggs, and mix well. Sift dry ingredients (flour, soda, salt) together and add to batter slowly, about a 1/2 cup at a time, and mix until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (dried fruit, if using) by hand.  Chill for one hour, then roll into balls and bake on ungreased cookie sheet in preheated oven for 10 minutes. 

A few notes:  When I last made these, I chilled them for a few days because I put them in the fridge and then forgot to make them. The dough was a little crumbly, but it baked up beautifully, so don't let that discourage you if it happens. Also, don't over cook!! I tend to like things a little more "well done" than my mom usually does, but she was right about this one. I slightly overcooked one batch, and they just didn't have the same flavor as the rest. So if they are looking brown on the sides, take them out!  Thirdly, if you have a little brother, keep these cookies far, far away! Or at least save a few for you and the rest of your family. My little brother scarfed down all but 5 of these cookies in a day and a half. But he's 20, and has a wicked metabolism, so he can get away with such things. Stupid boys.  

Enjoy!!!

Grace today:
1. Peanut butter. On anything.
2. Being up early enough to catch the sunrise, especially today's. WOW!!
3. Finding un-cashed checks in my wallet. 30 extra bones I didn't even know about!!
4. Emails chains with my girls that begin on Monday and end on Friday, just to start over again the next week. =)
5. Wikipedia.org. 

No comments:

Post a Comment