Wednesday, March 4, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things

Let's talk about favorites. I have alot of favorite things. Everytime I read a book I like, I instantly declare it my favorite, even if I hardly remember anything that happened in it. When I find a favorite CD, I'll listen to it over and over for months and months. And every few months, I have a new favorite food that I have to eat at least twice a week. For a while it was pasta, now it's candy.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite things with you all. Why? Because you, my loyal readers, are some of my favorite people!

None of these are in any particular order. In fact, I uploaded them in a specific order, but when they loaded on here, they were all out of whack. And I am not the most computer savvy person, so I don't know how to fix it, and probably never will. But if anyone knows how to put these pics in the order I want them, please tell me! I can use all the help I can get.

Anyway...





Let's start with concerts. I loooooooove concerts. Actually, I love live music of any kind, be it a small jam band in a bar, or just one guy with a guitar sitting on a patio. But concerts really get my heart pumping. I love the loudness, the crowds, the lights and, in this case, the balloons. And I love being able to dance like a maniac and not feel like I'm the odd one out. If any of you have seen my dancing, you know what I'm talking about. I know you're jealous of my skills, just admit it.
This picture is from the Flaming Lips New Years Eve show, and it was amazing! It was my second time to see them on NYE, but I've seen them in concert almost too many times to count. I've also seem two documentaries about them, and I was at the screening of their own movie, Christmas on Mars at last years deadCENTER film festival, which also happens to be one of my favorite things.

Moving on...





This is my little brother, Carme (pronounced Car-me) and my neice Karoline with a K. This picture holds alot of my favorite things in it. Obviously, the two peeps in it are my fav, but it's also Christmas morning, which just flat out rocks. And look! My bro has dreads! Those are my favorite too. Especially the one that sticks out in the front. K is a pretty hilarious little girl. She went through the first few years of her life insisting on being called "my sweet baby girl" and she is exactly that.

Hmmm...what does it say about me that I followed up a picture of my innocent, and younger, family members with a picture of my favorite beverage?







Stella!!!!!!! I love you. Especially when sitting on a patio after a long bike ride around Lake Hefner. Or while watching a movie in the middle of the night, on a closed down street during a summer film festival. Thank you for making my life more flavorful.

See this book?







Go buy one right now. It's a classic. I love that it spells cookie, "cooky." The recipes are fantasic. The pictures are even better. Don't worry, a beautiful and delicious cooky will be coming up shortly.


Ahhhhh........








Hello, lover! I love you. Especially Chunky Monkey. I love B & J's so much so, I tried to open a franchise here in OKC. But they weren't having any of that. Apparently we aren't the market they are looking for. I think you're wrong, B & J! You are just what this city needs. And I'm just the girl to run the place. So you just let me know when you're ready.

Hey look! It's Colonel Mustard!!









And he's still alive!!


We've seen this pretty girl before...









But have you met him?







His name is Billy. Or B-Bop. Or Billy boy, Billy bop, Be-bop-a-roni. He's cute and sweet and if he were a real boy, he'd be a chef, and would possibly have a french accent. He might not be the smartest dog on the block, but he will out snuggle any other dog in the world. Just ask Caddo. She'll tell you all about it.

And last, but certainly not least....




The cooky!!! I love love love love LOVE cookies. But the one thing I love more than cookies, is making cookies. This particular batch was so deliciously delicious. I made them when OU was playing the National Championship. While I do heart OU, I heart making cookies even more. Don't worry, I'll give you the recipe, but you still have to promise to go buy the Betty Crocker Cooky Book! It'll make you feel like a 1950's housewife, if you're into that sort of thing. =)

Anyway, this is just a little, tiny, taste of my favorite things. Some of the things that make my life complete. Things that, in my opinion, make the world a better place. But don't you worry, because my list of favorite things is infintely incomplete, I will visit this topic again. And again. And again. Because one of my favorite things to do, is talk about my favorite things!


Mary's Sugar Cookies, page 18 of Betty Crocker's Cooky Book. I don't know who Mary is, but I love her. And you will too.
1 1/2 c. sifted confectioners' sugar
1 c. butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond flavoring
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar

Mix sugar and butter. Add egg and flavorings; mix thoroughly. Measure flour by dipping method (I just stick a whisk into the flour container, and swish it around) or by sifting. Stir dry ingredients together and blend in. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours.
Heat oven to 375. Divide dough in half and roll 3/16" thick on lightly floured surface or pastry cloth. (I have no idea how to know how thick the dough is, I just roll until I'm happy with it.) Cut dough with cooky cutter; sprinkle with sugar and place on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 7-8 mins, or until delicately golden.
*notes- I don't normally sprinkle the un-cooked cooky with sugar if I'm going to ice them later. Also, if you don't have 2-3 hours to refrigerate, it's cool. Put a couple of Tbls. of sugar in a bowl, roll the dough into balls, and then toss in the sugar and bake.
Also, if you want to jazz it up a bit, omit the almond flavoring and add a few tsps of lemon juice and the zest of half a lemon. Add the remaining zest and lemon juice to the icing too, it'll be divine.

Icing:
Hmmm.....I can't really tell you how to make this icing! There is a recipe on the back of the powdered sugar box, but I usually start out by dumping powdered sugar in a bowl, adding some milk and a tsp of vanilla, and mixing well. Add more sugar/milk until you get the consistency you want. And add vanialla to taste, but don't go crazy with it. Sometimes I'll throw in some softened butter if I'm feeling particularly naughty.


Graces: (finally!)
1. Breakfast sandwiches
2. Inhalers....so I can breathe properly.
3. K-cups (coffee=delish)
4. Plunko, the Ugly Doll!
5. Tom's shoes...another one of my favorite things!

No comments:

Post a Comment