Sunday, March 29, 2009

Yummy Delicious Recipes

First of all, I'm sorry for promising you all some delicious recipes on Friday and then never delivering. Not only was I completely exhausted by Friday afternoon, I was also pretty burned out on the sweet treats. Three days of non-stop baking will do that to a girl. There was also an impending snow storm threatening doom on the city, and a little thing called "National Championship Basketball" that was demanding my attention. I don't really have the heart to tell it that I don't really care. Anyway, now I'm back from Tulsa where I survived the blizzard (literally) and I'm ready to share some yumminess with you. =)

You will need this...
And this....
Now turn to page 41 of the first one and make whatever recipe is on that page. Good bye!
*
Just kidding. I'm not going to make you go out and buy them. I'll give the recipes to you, but I just wanted to you all to know where I found such deliciousness.
*
Let's start with some Carrot Cake Cupcakes. I usually make this recipe in a bundt pan, but I've really been digging on cupcakes lately, so I figured I'd give it a try. They turned out as delicious as imagined, but they sure did look funky! I think I might have filled the cupcake liners a little too high, but that's okay. Now I'll know better next time. Anyway, here's what mine looked like after they came out of the oven.
Now here's the recipe from the Casady Cooks Cookbook circa 1980.
Forget Me Not Carrot Cake
2 c. unsifted flour (I think I sifted mine..oops!)
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cup salad oil (I use Smart Balance)
1 c. packed, dark brown sugar
1 c. sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 c. peeled, grated carrots (a food processor will become your best friend)
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/3 c. dates, if you're into that sort of thing, which I'm not.
Combine first five ingredients and then add the oils and sugars, then add eggs and vanilla. Mix till well blended. Fold in carrots, buts and dates (if using). Bake in greased and sugared pan at 350 for 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
*Obviously I didn't bake them in a pan for 60 minutes, but if I was using a bundt pan, I would. And the sugared part is important, so make your mom do that, because if she's like mine, she's a pro at those sort of things.
*I baked them in lined cupcake pans for 20 mins, or until toothpick came out clean. Don't let the look of them discourage you, they will be delicious, I promised!!
*I topped half of mine with cream cheese icing. Recipe at the end of post.


Okay, next up we've got Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies! Yes, flourless. These are so divine, you might be requested to make two batches before the first one is done cooling. At least that's what happened to me. So get your Tate's Bakeshop Cookbook and turn to page 41 and get baking!
Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
1 1/4 c. peanut butter, smooth or chunky (I used smooth)
3/4 c. packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two cookie sheets.
In a large bowl, mix the peanut butter, sugar, egg, baking soda, and vanilla until it's smooth and creamy. Stir in the chocolate.
With moistened (Sorry. Mizzle! haha) hands, roll the dough into balls and place on cookie sheets. Mine were a little smaller than golf balls, but I think you can really do whatever size you want. The cookies don't spread much, so you can put them pretty close together.
Bake for 12-15 minutes depending on what size you made, or until they are puffed and golden on the bottom. They will be soft in the center. Let them cool for a few minutes before transferring to wire cooling rack.
*
*
Next up, Pumpkin Bars!! But I don't have a picture for you. So sad.
Recipe from More From Magnolia cookbook.
1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 c. canned pumpkin puree
1 1/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. vegetable oil (canola)
3 lrg eggs at room temp
1/2 c. chopped, toasted pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour a 13x9 inch baking pan.
In small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In large bow, on medium speed, beat together the pumpkin, sugar, oil and eggs until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Stir in the pecans. Pour the batter into prepared pan, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before icing.
*
Cream Cheese Icing: (for carrot cake, pumpkin bars, red velvet cupcakes, the possibilities are endless)
1 8oz package of cream cheese, softened
about 2 T softened butter
2-4 c. powdered sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
1-2 tsp. vanilla
Mix all together, and enjoy!
*
Sorry that recipe isn't very exact, but that's they way it is with me and cream cheese icing. Some days I want it to be really cream cheesy and will use 2 cups of powdered sugar, and sometimes I want it to be really sweet and will use 4 cups, but rarely more. So play with it, and see what works for you. Also, if it's too thick, add milk by the capful until desired consistency.
*
Whew!! Did I get it all? I also made some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and sugar cookies, but I've given you those recipes before, so I don't think I need to again. But if you need me to, just let me know!
*
Happy Baking!!
*
Points of Grace:
1. Making it safely through the unexpected blizzard.
2. Spending a day and night in Tulsa with boyfriends family.
3. Celebrating 10 different family bdays (March and April) in one night, which is tonight.
4. Having a mom who cleans up after me in the kitchen, because I love making messes and hate cleaning. She's better at doing the dishes anyway. Thanks, mom. =)
5. Zots!!!
*
*
P.S. Sorry for all the random *'s everywhere, but stupid Blogger won't put in spaces where I want, so this was the only solution I have. Does anyone else ever have this problem? It happens to me ALOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment