Monday, April 13, 2009

Books, books, books

One of my favorite gifts to receive is a book. Especially a book that feels like it was handpicked just for me. Books are also my favorite gifts to give, which is why everyone in my family got books from me last year for Christmas. It definitely made Christmas shopping much easier since I got it all done in one place. I love finding just the perfect book for everyone in my family, which is somewhat of a task considering that they each have wildly different tastes in reading. But their differences in taste only makes the search that much more fun because I find myself among books I may never have stumbled upon on my own. My big brother prefers ancient Rome, U.S. History, and true crime stories, while my other big brother prefers biographies of business moguls, do-it-yourself millionaires, and anyone with advice on getting ahead. My little bro will read pretty much anything that comes his way and will read it with vigor. He loves biographies and autobiographies of spiritual leaders, passionate musicians, and anyone who has made an effort to better the world through art, prayer, peace, or love. But like I said, he'll read it all. Mom likes cookbooks and best sellers; dad likes "the great ones" of literature. I have no idea where I fit in in all of this, because I like a little bit of everything. I do know that when my sis-in-law tells me about a books she loves, I immediately go out and buy it.

I only have one problem with my love of books: I always want to read 17 books at once, often put one down before I start the next, and can't help but to buy at least three new ones before I've gotten to the next three on my list. Okay, so that's more than one problem, but you know what I mean.

I also have a problem when trying to get to my point: I talk incessantly about nothing before I ever get there. But don't worry...I'm there!

I was lucky enough to get a bunch of books for my birthday. And even though well over a month has passed, I'm just now getting around to telling you all about the ones that I'm most excited about. If I could just finish up the book I'm reading now, I could get to these little gems....

My best friend Meesh gave me this book,
and the personal inscription she wrote inside the cover makes me giggle with delight over the likeness of our souls. And it guarantees to be on my bookshelves forever, even though I haven't even cracked it open yet. This is what I was talking about with that whole "handpicked just for me" sentiment from earlier.


My other best friend, Lize (like Size, but with an L), gave me this little book:
Another "handpicked just for me" book written by the wife of the old minister at the church we've both gone to our whole lives. LBC knows me better than almost anyone else does, and any book she suggests I read, I read because, like many other things, our taste in books is almost identical. She's also an amazing writer with a vivid imagination and is really pretty. And yes, her prettiness adds to her awesomeness...but only in her case. =)

One of my aunts gave me this book,
which I've been absolutely dying to dig my nose into ever since I read about it on the author's blog, Orangette. Please, please read her blog. This book is part memoir, part cookbook and, if it's anything like her blog, is beautifully written. And if all of her recipes are as delicious as her chocolate cake, this definitely won't be the last I have to say about her. She's also from OKC and a former Cyclone, so what's not to love?
Anyway, these are the books I've got stacked up on my "to read" pile. Also in that pile, is For the Thrill of It: Leopold, Loeb, and the Murder that Shocked Chicago by Simon Batz, Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien, and the remaining four books in the Outlander series. What's in your pile??
Grace:
1. Google maps.
2. Barnes and Noble lunch breaks.
3. Friends who really "get" me.
4. Happy hour.
5. Phase 10

No comments:

Post a Comment