Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Little Beauties...

So I've been sick for the past few days, and am just now feeling like I'm on my way back to my normal self. I may even bake some banana bread later today, that's how good I'm feeling. And I've got some brown bananas that need to be used. But that's not really what I want to talk about today. Today I want to talk about children's beauty pageants. I just saw something on TV about a documentary that VH1 will be showing called Little Beauties:Ultimate Kiddie Queen Showdown. So now I have one more reason to stop watching VH1. I started giving up on them a few years ago when they introduced us to Flava Flav and Rock of Love and other truly awful television shows such as that. But this little beauty queen thing really takes the cake. This is actually what it says about the show on their website, "This documentary reveals the humor and love behind an American tradition; the always colorful characters on the pageant circuit; and the "sparkle" it takes to win a crown." Seriously? The "humor and love" behind the pageant? Last time I checked, humor and love had nothing to do with it. What's humorous about a mother making her 6 year old daughter get a spray tan and fake teeth? What's so loving about her yelling at her daughter because she's forgotten to put on an extra layer of mascara? Or because she is 6 and has to stuff her bra? These women truly disgust me. Watching a little girl stand on stage and start crying because her mother is yelling at her for facing the wrong direction is not exactly my idea of entertainment. And having a little girl be described as "The Flirt" isn't entertainment to me either. When did little girls become unattractive for having sweet, pale skin and a few gaps in their smile where they'd lost a few teeth? When did we decide that they're innocent voices weren't sweet enough so we have to hire voice coaches to teach them to do things their voices aren't capable of yet? And when did all of this become okay to the general public? I've never been a fan of children's beauty pageants. I don't think one child should be deemed better than the rest based solely on looks. But it seems to me that these beauty pageants went from something somewhat light-hearted and good natured, to something truly disturbing. The amount of makeup these children wear is disturbing enough. Just look at their faces on the VH1 website. You can't even tell that they are children! Now, I know I'm not a mother, and I've never been in a beauty pageant, so maybe there's something here that I'm missing. But I do know that every time I see something on TV about pageant moms, or the pageants in general, I get so deeply upset about it that it makes me feel sick to my stomach. Sort of like the feeling I get when I catch sight of "Wife Swap." I just can't stand it. Anyway, I just had to get that out. I'm sorry if any of you are pageant enthusiasts, but they just aren't for me.

Grace:
1. Having a mom who has always taught me that beauty isn't something to be judged by.
2. Photoshop....even though I don't know how to use it yet.
3. Brothers, especially mine.
4. Robert Downy, Jr.
5. Yoga pants

No comments:

Post a Comment