Friday, April 3, 2009

Attack of the Neon Food Coloring

Remember when I told you all about the purple butter? Well, the neon food coloring has struck again. This time, the victim was a big, giant bowl of pasta. Have you ever seen neon pink pasta? It's a very interesting sight. A sight that I don't think you all should be deprived of. So here it is!

Ahhhhhh!!!!

This was supposed to be my April Fool's Day joke on boyfriend, but he decided to play video games with his buddies instead, so the prank had to wait til Thursday. Is it weird that he was barely phased at all when I served him pink pasta? It was like he expected it, which I guess isn't that strange. I tend to offer up unusual things in the kitchen from time to time, but never anything like this. I had to "practice" on a mini bowl of pasta first. It was bright blue. I mean, bright blue. It was also hilarious, and sort of unappetizing. But pink pasta? Delicious!



As funky as it looks, this really did turn out to be a wonderfully delicious bowl of pasta. It was basically Pasta Aglio e Olio, which is just an olive oil, garlic and red pepper flake sauce, but I modified it a bit. I had some anchovy paste that I was anxious to use, so I added a tiny bit of that in there, and it really added a subtle nutty taste. I loved it. And boyfriend did too, which is always nice. And P.S., don't tell him about the anchovy paste. =)

Annie's Neon Pink Pasta Aglio e Olio:
Boil enough water for 1 lb of spaghetti. Add LOTS of food coloring to the water, right before you dump in the pasta. While the pasta cooks (and soaks up the color), heat 1/2 c. of olive oil (or a tiny bit more if you spill like I did) and add a squirt of anchovy paste, about 1/2 tsp., 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Or more if you're feeling feisty. Cook until the garlic is fragrant, but be careful not to burn! I cooked it on low heat, and still had to take it off the heat a few times so it wouldn't burn. When the pasta is done, reserve 1-2 cups of pasta water, then drain. Add a bunch of chopped parsley to the sauce, then toss with the pasta. Add more parsley on top and lots and lots of parmesan cheese. Bon appetit!!

Graces:
1. Boyfriend, for eating my pink spaghetti. Sevol x Pink Pasta!!
2. Splenda
3. Jamie Fraser...Swoon!
4. Hazelnut coffee
5. Warheads...the super sour kind.

2 comments:

  1. Does Jamie Fraser get even BETTER in the 2nd book?!?!?!?!????!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes he does!! If that's even possible!! Doesn't he just put Edward Cullen to shame??

    ReplyDelete