Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Take me to the river, drop me in the water.

Everyone should be glad to know that I made it back from Fort Worth in one piece. The drive down might have been my favorite part of the trip. That may sound weird, but when you rarely spend more than an hour or two alone every week, it's a nice treat to have a three hour car ride to spend some time with yourself. And hey, I've always been a fan of a good road trip. I loaded up my iPod with some new tunes and rocked out the whole drive down. I got a lot done on the drive too. I thought up about 17 new recipes to try, decided that the green Life Savers are not in fact better than the blue ones like I previously thought, and I think I may have found my calling as a one-woman Talking Heads cover band. Take Me to the River is going to be my first single. I also realized that I'm insanely jealous that I will never be as cool as Jenny Lewis. From Troop Beverly Hills to ridiculously talented red-haired rocker chick? It doesn't get much cooler than that.

While Fort Worth was great, I was still semi-heart broken all weekend that not only was I missing out on the NMF2, but my brother was in town from L.A. and I wasn't there to see him. Lucky for me he stayed until Monday afternoon, which meant we got to have two deliciously delicious meals together. Sunday night we went to Rococo with the family, and it was everything a Sunday night dinner should be. The steaks were cooked to perfection, the mashed potatoes were fluffy and creamy, and my shrimp scampi was extra buttery, which means it was extra delicious. Add in plenty of wine and conversation, and you get a wonderful evening. Oh. And my grandma told us all about her wild newlywed days when she and my grandad frequented strip clubs on a semi-regular basis. Just another typical night out with my family!

Monday was The Wedge. Yum yum yummy. Margherita Pizza, Spinach salad, flatbread, and mom's build your own with marinara, spinach, mushrooms, mozzarella and mortadella. Hmmm...I'm hungry again.

While we're on the subject of food, I ate sushi last night and might have overdosed on seaweed salad and ginger, but it was totally worth it. I also made some yellow cupcakes with chocolate buttercream icing, which only confirmed the fact that I can't do anything in the kitchen (even the tiniest of tasks) without making a huge mess. But despite my frustrations, and the mess, the cupcakes turned out to be pretty good and looked snazzy too, thanks to my new blue sugar sprinkles courtesy of my mom. The recipe I used for the icing was easy, chocolaty and delicious, but it needs some tweaking so I'll wait and post it later. I'll also wait to tell you about what I'm up to tonight. I have a feeling you will be jealous, and I'd rather wait until I have all the pictures and stories so you can get the full experience. Stay tuned!

Grace!
1. Boyfriend for loving to dance at wedding receptions. He looked very daper in his tux and tails.
2. Room service at 2am.
3. David Byrne, Jenny Lewis, Peter Bjorn and John, Brandon Flowers, Ray LaMontagne, and various other artists. You all rocked my road trip!
4. All the people who worked so hard (that means you Jon and Nat!) at the NMF2. I heard it was amazing!!!!
5. Sushi dates with Biz.

No comments:

Post a Comment