Monday, May 4, 2009

It's Mother's Day week, make some brownies!

Okay, okay. I'm finally getting around to this. I've been a bad blogger this week and I apologize. I'm sure you all were checking in everyday, cursing me for not updating you on my day to day life, as exciting as it is. Oh you weren't checking in everyday? My bad.

Mother's Day is this weekend (Sunday, for you guys out there who may not pay attention to such things) and in honor of my mom, and all moms around the world, I've decided to make this a very sweet week indeed. It will be full of brownies and cupcakes, pies and muffins, pancakes and coffee cake. Or maybe not. It might be more savory and include meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I don't plan these things out, which might explain why I visit the grocery store about 14 times a week. Anyway, whatever I make, I promise you it will be mom-worthy.

Here's a few goodies to get you started!

Actually, you should just stop right here. This recipe for Chocolate Fudge Brownies with Butterscotch and Pecans will be all you need to make your mom the happiest mom in town. Just ask my mom, she got these last week.

Chocolate Fudge Brownies with Butterscotch and Pecans (that was a mouthful!)
Ingredients:
1/2 c. flour
1/8 tsp. salt
4 T. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
2 lrg. eggs, at room temperature
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. coarsely chopped toasted pecans - *see note
1/3 c. butterscotch chips
*Note: To toast pecans, spread evenly on baking sheet and bake in pre-heated oven (350 degrees) for 10-15 minutes, or until fragrant and, well, toasted. Or you can cheat like I did and just throw them in a skillet on top of the stove for 10 minutes or so. Honestly, I don't even know what difference this made, but the recipe said toast the pecans, so I toasted the pecans!
To make: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and grease and flour an 8x8inch baking dish.
In a small bowl, combine the flour and salt and set aside.
In a medium sauce pan over low heat, melt the butter with the chocolates, stirring occasionally until smooth. (This can also be done in the microwave in 30 second increments.) Remove from heat, and allow to cool to luke warm, 5-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, beat the eggs with the sugar until light and creamy, 2-3 minutes. Add vanilla and beat well. Add chocolate and butter mixture and beat until well combined. Add the dry ingredients, and mix thoroughly. Stir in half the pecans and half of the butterscotch chips and spread batter evenly in prepared dish. Batter will be very thick. Bake for 20 minutes* and sprinkle with remaining pecans and butterscotch. Return to oven, and bake an additional 15-20 minutes*, or until toothpick comes out with moist crumbs attached. Cool completely (or overnight) before serving.
* More notes: I followed the directions exactly and wished I would have added the remaining pecans and butterscotch after 15 minutes instead of 20. At 20 minutes, the brownies were too done to really let the toppings adhere to them, so they just sat on top and looked pretty, but fell off pretty easily. I also only needed to bake it for another 15 minutes after adding the toppings, and I still might have overcooked it ever so slightly. Next time, I'll bake for 15, add the pecans and butterscotch, then bake for an additional 15 and see how it looks. I definitely wouldn't go over 40 minutes total, unless you know your oven is finicky. And definitely let it cool completely! I couldn't wait so I cut into it way too soon and it sort of fell apart on me. But dang, it tasted delish, and I'm not even that much of a brownie eater! Make these, you realllly need to.

I was going to include a recipe for Sour Cream Coffee Cake, but I'll save that for later. Instead, I'll end with a pretty picture of my sweet niece. Why? Because she's stinkin' cute and the grass is green and the flowers are a-bloomin', so why not?
::::::Grace::::::
1. Being able to find the grace in small things, even when grace seems hard to find.
2. My dad for not only being a great dad, but for being a great son.
3. My iPhone for keeping my nephew entertained during his sister's 3 hour long dance recital. Mom, you can thank me later for choosing soccer over ballet.
4. The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers
5. Falcone's. Delish.



No comments:

Post a Comment