Saturday, May 2, 2009

With cheese, please.

You know, I started out today's post with pictures and recipes from last weeks baking extravaganza, but then I decided that I'd much rather tell you about something else: cheeseburgers. And no, I didn't make one. Last time I took that job into my own hands, it just didn't turn out well. Maybe it's because I'm not a guy, or maybe it's because I'm scared to use the outdoor grill, but I just can't make a cheeseburger to save my life. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop trying though. I realize cheeseburgers are one of the easier things to make, but hey, just because it's easy for everyone else, doesn't mean it's easy for me. And besides, boyfriend makes really good burgers, and so does my dad, step-dad, brothers, uncles, friends, neighbors, etc., so I've never really had to do it on my own. So really, it's not my fault that I don't know how to do it. No one has ever taught me. Same with mowing the lawn. I begged my dad for years to teach me, but no, he taught my brothers, and so every summer they earned extra cash by mowing lawns and I went broke. But that's really another story for another time.

For you OKC folk, do you all remember Abraham's burgers? It was in a little tiny shack off of Western Ave and they had hands down, the best burgers ever. I can't even remember how many times I ate there in high school. A few years ago, I was taking boyfriend there for the first time (how he had lived here for 20+ years and never ate there, I'll never know) and when we pulled up to the tiny shack, it was closed! For good! But now, my prayers have been answered, and the good folks at Abe's realized that OKC (and myself) can't survive without them and they have reopened. In a new building. That can actually seat more than 20 people. Boyfriend and I are heading off to lunch today to give the new joint a try. Don't worry, I'll keep you informed.

And I promise that I will post some delicious recipes soon. Be on the lookout for chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream icing, sour cream coffee cake, and fudgy brownies with butterscotch and pecans. And anything else I decide to make between now and then.

Happy Derby Day!

Grace:
1. Saturday morning thunderstorms, even thought I got hit in the head with a piece of hail. Twice.
2. Kickball in the front yard with P and K.
3. My mom's flower garden.
4. Stove top popcorn. It really is far superior to the microwave variety.
5. My new black pashmina from Private Quarters. I basically live wrapped up in that thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment