Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sunny memories.

When I was in high school, I dated my friend Rory for a while every now and then. We were both always in and out of those really BIG high school relationships, but never with each other. You know the ones, where you date a guy (or girl) all through high school, but throughout the years there are numerous breakups, fights, childish comments, and just drama in general. But you eventually make up and get back together. The pure definition of tumultuous. I know I had a relationship that was exactly like that. But whenever I found myself single, I always managed to find some cute boy to pass the time with. And that cute boy was usually Rory. And man, was he cute. He had these eyes, these eyes, that were so pretty that it was almost sad they were wasted on a boy, because I put on thousands of coats of mascara trying to achieve the look he was naturally born with. And not only was he delicious to look at, but he was so much fun to hang out with. He loved to play and laugh and genuinely have fun. And he loved to eat, and I loved to eat. We spent countless hours eating massive amounts of food and then seeing just how big our bellies had gotten. Sounds romantic, huh? Somehow, it was. And for those of you who knew Rory, you know how much fun he was and the zest for life that he had. His was a sad soul to lose.

I've never really been sure why Rory and I never worked at the dating thing. We were crazy about each other, but we were also the best of friends. And at 16, 17, and 18, being the best of friends is hard to segue into a relationship. But we gave it our shot, and every time it ended we'd go back to our old routine of being best friends and dating whoever it was that drove us the craziest. It was almost as if nothing ever changed.

My favorite memory about Rory is from one hot summer between my junior and senior year in high school. I think I was at my friend Megan's house, probably up in her room with all our girlfriends, drinking wine coolers and getting ready for a night out. When we all made our way outside, I looked into my car, and sitting there on the driver's seat was the most gigantic sunflower I have ever seen. Seriously, this thing was the size of my head. My window had been down, and Rory had left it for me. He later told me that he'd been driving around with his guy friends, mind you, and saw the flower on the side of the road and just knew I had to have it. It is still, to this day nearly 10 years later, the sweetest thing that's ever happened to me. And every time I see sunflowers, I think of my dear friend Rory, and hope that he's looking down on me from whatever heaven he's in.


Grace.
1. A Sam's size bag of powdered sugar. You really can never have too much.
2. A new cupcake book. Thanks, mom!! (And thanks for putting out such beautiful sunflowers.)
3. Mango tea.
4. Seeing my best friend in a potential wedding dress. GORGEOUS!!!!!
5. Tats. Mizzle knows what I'm talking about.

1 comment: