Thursday, July 2, 2009

Birthday worthy cupcakes.

Do you all know Joy the Baker? If you don't, you should get to know her. Her blog is everything I hope my blog to be, except mine will always be a little more Wallycado-ish. She's funny, and cool, and a pretty rad chick in general. No, I don't know her in real life, but I imagine we'd be fast friends.

A few weeks ago my best friend, Meesh, threw a birthday party for her fiance Mr. B. When I offered to make cupcakes for the occasion, Meesh gladly let me take control of the dessert as long as whatever I made had chocolate. Mr. B loves him some chocolate.


I have a few chocolate cake/cupcake recipes in my arsenal, but I've yet to find my favorite. And since I was making these for someone who is very important to my best friend, and myself, I decided I had to make the best chocolate cupcake recipe I could get my hand on. So I went to Joy the Baker for guidance. And boy did she deliver. Here's her recipe for both the cupcakes and icing.



In fact, I don't think I'll be trying out any other chocolate cake recipes. I've found the winner. It has all that is good in this world; cocoa powder, sour cream, coffee. There's even Ovaltine in the icing. I've never really been a chocolate on chocolate kind of gal, but these cupcakes totally changed my mind. Just remind me next time to use a different piping tip. My icing sort of looks like little piles of poo atop my chocolaty cupcakes.



Because it was a party, I decided to dig out my giant cupcake pan . If you click on the link, you'll see what a giant cupcake is supposed to look like. I clearly didn't achieve that look, but I still think mine was pretty festive. Especially when you put 27 candles on it. Meesh and I decided that it was very Christmas on Mars-y. Wayne Coyne would approve. (I hope!)




Mr. B definitely approved, which is all that mattered.

Make these chocolate on chocolate cupcakes for 4th of July. Or for you next birthday party. Or even just because it's Thursday and you need some chocolate. They are so so worth it.

Grace.
1. Two new cds : Wilco (the album), and Iron and Wine: Around the Well
2. Spending 4th of July at Grand Lake for the 27th summer of my life! I'm so excited I might pee my pants!
3. My brother coming home just to go to the lake.
4. Greek salads from N D's Foods. Actually, anything from N D's Foods...
5. New green flip flops.

3 comments:

  1. Annie, those cupcakes look amazing! If we could find some way to get them to Tulsa regularly, I'm sure the icot marketers would b excellent customers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...we'll have to brainstorm on that one. Maybe I could deliver them to you once or twice a week and you can handle it from there? We could split the profits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the big cupcake looks just super - especially with all of the lit candles! That could serve as the centerpiece of a party for sure!

    ReplyDelete