Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Boyfriend Box

We all have one; The Boyfriend Box. Come one, don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. All of us girls have, at one time or another, had a box hidden away in the back of a closet, or drawer, or under a bed. It's put there to be forgotten, but is never thrown away because of the memories it holds. But as we're filling up this box with pictures, love notes, ticket stubs, jewelry, etc., we never think about what it's like to find the hidden box and to open it up again.

I found my Boyfriend Box a few weeks ago while I was packing up my old room. I knew it was there, somewhere. I've even gone hunting for it a few times since I've hidden it but have never found it. I guess I'm really good at hiding things. When it resurfaced weeks ago, I ignored it. I tossed it in a box labeled "random" and threw a few other things in there, knowing well aware what the box was and the contents it held. I planned on never looking at it again, perhaps hiding it in my new house in a new closet. But when I unpacked the "random" box today, I knew that the Boyfriend Box could not move into my new house, and life, with me.

So I opened it up and had a look inside.



Surprisingly, I didn't let myself read the 487 million little notes I had stored inside. I opened up a few, read a few lines and, for the most part, smiled. They were all letters. Letters I'd written but never delivered, letters from high school loves, letters written during math class, and nights at home during various periods of being grounded. For the most part, they were very sweet reminders of very sweet young love. A part of me wished it was still so simple to just write down in a letter exactly how you feel about someone. But another part of me remembered what some of those other letters held: hurtful words, gossip, and so much teenage angst I can hardly believe I made it out alive.

So I did something very uncharacteristic of me;


I shoved everything back in the box, jewelry, pictures and all, and threw the Box away. I'm not that girl anymore and I don't need her hanging around my new house all the time.

And besides, I don't need a Boyfriend Box anymore, because I have The Boyfriend that I've always wanted. And he's more than welcome in my house anytime.

...grace...
1. Cleaning frenzies.
2. Memories. Life sure would be boring without them.
3. Free coffee at Full Circle Bookstore.
4. Preferring music over TV any day of the week.
5. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches saving dinnertime once again.

1 comment:

  1. So sweet! I had a boyfriend drawer at M&L's house, and everytime I opened it I got creeped out. What does that say about my relationships? Haha

    ReplyDelete