Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Strawberry Marg Cupcakes

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving! Can you believe it?? I can't. That's probably because I'm usually elbow deep in flour at this point the day before Thanksgiving. Today will be no different, we're (my grandma and I) are just getting a later start on things than usual. I was ready to get to choppin' and rollin' and bakin' early this morning, but she has manicures and hair appointments to go to, so I'll have to wait. In the meantime, I thought I'd share a recipe with you. It's not a Thanksgiving recipe. In fact, it's not even a fallish recipe. It's not savory by any means. It's sweet. Super sweet. It even teeters on the too sweet side. But, these cupcakes will be the perfect post-Thanksgiving treat and will make you feel like you're sitting on the beach sipping a fruity drink out of a coconut. Or something like that....

Strawberry Margarita Cupcakes. There's really nothing easier.

First, grab a box of yellow cake mix out of the pantry.



Next, grab some strawberry marg mix. I bought this bottle for about $3.50, so if you're thinking about spending $14 on a bottle from Williams Sonoma, please don't be stupid. Besides, this is the Master of Mixes, so how can you go wrong??



Now all you have to do is follow the directions on the back of the cake mix box, except where it calls for 1 1/2 cups of water, use 1 1/2 cups of marg mix.  Put the cake mix, 1 1/2 c. marg mix, 3 eggs, and 1/3 c. oil in a bowl and mix away!




Now you have pretty pink batter. Good job!



Now, if you don't have a cupcake pan, you can use these awesome aluminum cups and just line them up on a baking sheet. I actually like this approach better because you can bake more cupcakes at a time. I think I got 15 cupcakes on one sheet. It was a cupcake miracle!

Okay, not really.



Now, pop these in the oven for 18-20 minutes, and let them cool for 10 minutes or so. Or at least until they are cool to the touch. I never time that step, so I really have no idea how long it takes.

While the cupcakes are cooling, make a quick icing using powdered sugar, the margarita mix, and a little milk. I think I used around 2 c. of powdered sugar, 3 T. of marg mix, and about 2 T. milk. You can do this with just powdered sugar and marg mix, but I had to cut the sweetness with a little milk.  Honestly though, I have no idea how much I used. I just kept adding different amounts of all three until it was the right consistency. So play with it until it's just right for you! But make sure it's not too thick, like cookie icing, you want it to spread over the tops of the cupcakes and maybe even down the sides a bit. It'll firm up over night.




Wait a minute or two before topping with sprinkles. If you put the sprinkles on too soon, they sort of melt into the icing. I learned this the hard way.







Now just pack these beauties up and take them to work for your friends birthday. She'll be happy that she's getting something completely un-Thanksgiving-ish.

Now I'm off to chop 4 bags of celery. And bake 5 pies. And make some cranberry salad. But don't worry, we'll also have the cranberry jello in a can. My brother can't have Thanksgiving without it.

Happy Thanksgiving!!  

Graces.
1. My grandma's turkey and stuffing, Coopie's mashed taters, mom's green beans, sweet potatoes, cheese grits, lasagna, beef tenderloin, banana sheet cake...ummm, sorry, I got a little side tracked...
2. Dad's key lime pie.
3. Brothers home from Cali and Stilly.
4. 105.3 FM. Finally a radio station in OKC worth listening to!
5. Rosie's first Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment