Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Quinoa Bowl

I bought a bag of quinoa a few weeks ago and it's been hiding in my pantry ever since. Not because I haven't wanted to make it, just because I forgot it was there. It happens sometimes. Anyway, in an effort to clean out my fridge last night, I whipped up this quinoa bowl. 




It was my first time using quinoa and it was quick, easy and super delicious. And, it was a really great way to clean out my fridge and pantry at the same time. Here's how I made it:

For the quinoa:
1 c. quinoa
2 c. water
Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer until water runs clear. Put the quinoa and 2 c. water (and a pinch of sea salt) into pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and let simmer until all water is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Fluff with fork and you're done.

For the fixins':
1 carrot, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 bag spinach
juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1-2 green onions
3-4 jarred sundried tomatos (for me), chopped
handful of black olives (for boyfriend), chopped
store bought pesto
1 T. pine nuts, toasted
I started by cooking the carrot and garlic in a bit of olive oil, just to soften them up. I then added the spinach and lemon juice and wilted it down. I also tossed the chick peas into the pan at the last minute, just to warm them up a bit. After the spinach was cooked, I tossed everything, quinoa and all, into a big bowl and tossed until well mixed. I added about 1 TB of prepared pesto for a little extra flavor and topped it all off with some fresh parsley and toasted pine nuts.

The end result was yummy and really satisfying. I usually eat A LOT at dinner, and I was full after one bowl. Hopefully next time I'll have some feta, goat or parmesan cheese on hand, but for a quinoa first timer, this was perfect. And, bonus for me, after just a few bites, boyfriend turned to me and said "This is really good, babe!" Well, if he says so.

No comments:

Post a Comment