Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Easy.

This is not a food blog. 

It just so happens I have little other to talk about right now. I mean, I could tell you about the so-much-fun-I-wanted-to-cry-when-it-ended girls weekend I just had up at my lake house. Or about the fun gifts my dad brought me back from Colorado and Santa Fe. I could probably go on and on about my excitement over my brother moving back from LA and his super cute house (that I'm not jealous of at all) that his cute girlfriend is going to make look so awesome. There's plenty to say about how busy my summer has been; how many great books I've read lately; how awesome it is to be dating someone "in the industry" so I now get to see raw edits of unreleased movies. But for now, it's going to be food I talk about.

The other day I was trolling the internet for inspiration for dinner. I had no clue what I wanted, but I knew I wanted something easy. Like super easy. It was Monday after all. The Monday after the above mentioned girls weekend that left me so drained I literally did cry before bed on Sunday (no joke). So anything requiring effort sounded like way too much. Then I found this recipe and that was all I needed.  I did change it though, adding asparagus and mushrooms that needed to be used up. It was so easy and delicious, I can't wait to make it again. 


Simple Lemon Pasta
What I used:
1/2 lb pasta. I used pasta "flowers". They were very pretty.
olive oil
1/2 small onion, finely diced, aka. chopped very tiny (Lauren and Morgan)
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
a good shake of red pepper flakes
1/2 lb. white mushrooms, sliced
about 7 stalks asparagus, cut into chunks
3/4 c. frozen peas
1 c. cheese, I used a mixture of romano and parmesan
juice of 1 lemon

What I did:
Cook the pasta in boiling, salted water. While that cooks, heat oil in a small pan. Add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook just a few minutes, til soft and fragrant. Add mushrooms and cook on med-low heat til soft. When pasta is almost finished, scoop out about a c. of the boiling water (to thicken sauce later, if needed) and add the asparagus and peas to boiling pasta water.  When pasta is done, strain the whole pot. Add pasta, asparagus and peas back into hot pot. Pour in the mushroom/onion mixture. Add the cheese and lemon juice and stir. Add more cheese and a bit of the reserved pasta water if desired to make it a bit more saucy.   Find the biggest bowl you can and eat your delicious dinner out of that. On the couch. While watching Project Runway on your laptop.


...grace...
1. A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
2. Making room for a new roomie. (A boy!)
3. Ed Hardy koozies. Just trust me on this one.
4. Sharkey's bar at Grand Lake.
5. My sweet niece who just turned 10. She got an iPod touch for her birthday. We now text everyday when she is out of school. It makes my day.

1 comment:

  1. I am happy to say that I still do not know how to dice an onion. Just reading through some old posts and i wanted to tell you that i love you so much. this blog makes my heart happy and it makes me miss one of my bestest friends in the whole world. love you miss you and cant wait to see your face so soon.

    ReplyDelete