Friday, January 27, 2012

Daily Dozen



My Daily Dozen
The personal creed of Robert Louis Stevenson
1. Make up your mind to be happy. Learn to find pleasure in simple things.  (What a great start to a daily list! I love this advice, as evidenced by my blog's little tagline, although I must admit that I often have to remind myself that my level of happiness is totally in my control.)*
2. Make the best of your circumstances. No one has everything, and everyone has something of sorrow intermingled with the gladness of life. The trick is to make the laughter outweigh the tears. (I love the words "the gladness of life" and am thinking of writing this on my bathroom mirror so I'll never forget it. Is that weird?)
3. Don't take yourself too seriously. Don't think that somehow you should be protected from misfortunes that befall others.  (I don't.)
4. You can't please everybody. Don't let criticism worry you. (Amen.)
5. Don't let your neighbor set your standards. Be yourself.  (This...this right here is one of my biggest struggles, every.single.day. I've always struggled with insecurity and I am the queen of self-comparison; I even quit Facebook because of it [among lots of other reasons.] I often think I know who "I" am, but then I find myself comparing everything to everyone, so I guess I'm not so sure just yet. Do any of you struggle with this? Or if you once did, how did you/do you overcome it? I'm on a constant search for the answer...)
6. Do the things you enjoy doing, but stay out of debt.  (Solid advice. Luckily, I'm pretty easily amused.)
7. Don't borrow trouble. Imaginary things are harder to bear than the actual ones. (Truth.)
8. Since hate poisons the soul, do not cherish enmities, grudges. Avoid people who make you unhappy.  (Don't you with you had this advice when you were in high school? Sheesh.)
9. Have many interests. If you can't travel, read about new places. (Now I know which is #1 on my dad's list.  I really love this advice. I don't understand when people can't answer the simple question "What do you like to do?"  How can you be an interesting person if you have no interests?)
10. Don't hold postmortems. Don't spend your life brooding over sorrows and mistakes. Don't be the one who never gets over things. (Can I get an "AMEN??" Get over it and move on. Now.)
11. Do what you can for those less fortunate than yourself.  (We have so much to give. Go out and spread the love.)
12. Keep busy at something. A very busy person never has time to be unhappy.  (This falls so naturally into my goals for 2012. Busy, busy, busy.)

*I'm sure you've figured this out by now, but everything in ( ) are my own thoughts. 



No comments:

Post a Comment