Thursday, March 15, 2012

Popcorn

Popcorn has always been popular in my family. Growing up, it was a regular nightly snack and was always popped on the stove. When I was in high school, my brothers and I knew exactly how long to microwave a bag so that every kernel popped yet none were burned. We also discovered that melting an obscene amount of butter and pouring it over hot popcorn made for the most ideal bowl. Looking back, that kinda makes me gag.

While my butter-laden microwave popcorn days are long gone, my popcorn addiction is still strong and I still snack on it regularly. Here's my current favorite way to make it.


Stovetop Popcorn
1-2 T. oil, I use canola or olive oil
1/3-1/2 c. popcorn kernels
finely grated Parmesan cheese
Krazy Jane's (which is technically called Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt)

To make: Over medium heat, add enough oil to a large pot, like a spaghetti pot, just to cover the bottom of pan, about 1-2T. Add a few popcorn kernels to pan and cover with lid slightly askew to let steam out. Allow those kernels to pop (it'll take a few minutes) then add in the rest, anywhere from 1/3c.-1/2c., or enough to cover bottom of pan. Remember to keep lid on, but not tightly fitted. As kernels start to pop, shake pan vigorously every so often, until popping slows. You'll know popcorn is done when there are about 5 seconds between pops. This whole process takes about 10 mins. When popcorn is ready, pour half of it into a big bowl. Immediately sprinkle on parmesan cheese and Krazy Jane's, 1-2tsp of each. Pour remaining popcorn in bowl and again top with cheese and seasoning. You can use however much of the cheese and seasoning you want, depending on your personal taste. Popcorn will be good for up to three days, but I personally think day-old popcorn is the best.


::grace::
- Re-reading Jane Eyre as an adult. I'm pretty certain I didn't pay attention to it in high school.
- Impromptu Thunder watch parties with beer, burgers and brussels sprouts.
- Unexpected birthday gifts.
- Cute stationary for thank you notes.
- Sharpie pens, ultra-fine and multi-colored.

1 comment:

  1. There are literally NO BETTER PENS on the planet!

    ReplyDelete