Thursday, March 22, 2012

Simple lunch



I've realized recently that when it comes to food, and most things in life really, simplicity is best. Why throw every vegetable into a dish when you could just have one or two as the stars? I know this isn't new news to anyone, but it's a fairly new concept to me. So here's a simple meal I've been eating lately. 




Whole Wheat Pasta with Spinach and Parmesan:
This is so simple that it's really silly for me to provide a recipe...but here's a lame attempt at it anyway. Put a few handfuls of cooked whole wheat pasta* (or plain, whatever works) into a bowl. Zap it in the microwave for 1min 11seconds (I zap everything for this amount of time because I'm a little strange). Remove from microwave and add a small handful of grated Parmesan cheese, a good shake of red pepper flakes, and a handful of spinach. Toss it all together, adding more cheese or spinach if you like. Done!

*I make pasta at least once a week and I always have a ton leftover because I can't seem to figure out how to cook just enough pasta for one meal. To keep it from getting sticky, I drizzle the warm pasta with a really good olive oil (because I don't really like olive oil flavor, so if I'm going to taste it, it's gotta be good) and toss. Then put in a container and store in fridge. 


And here's what I've been eating on the side...



Salad:
Toss whatever salad greens you have on hand into a large bowl. I used a baby spring mix and lots of spinach.
To make the dressing: In a small jar, add 1tsp. grainy mustard, 1/2 tsp. minced garlic or 1 clove crushed, a heavy drizzle of balsamic vinegar, a squeeze of honey (probably 1 -1 1/2 tsp.), salt and pepper, and some olive oil. Put lid on the jar and shake it like you mean it. Taste and add more vinegar or oil as needed.
Toss the salad with a bit of dressing, starting small because the flavor is quite strong. Then add 2Tb. of pomegranate seeds and toss again. Done!


Super easy and really filling and delicious. And spinach is the star of this meal, which is always a good choice in my book.

--

....grace....
-The tulips in my front yard that we planted with my grandma. They're blooming!
-An extra day off this week.
-Free classic books on iTunes. Or is it ibooks? Either way, it's awesome.
-Early morning stretching/breathing exercises by myself in my living room. It's a perfect way to wake up.
-Howiette, the duck that nests in my bushes, and occasionally sleeps on my front porch, every spring. She's back!

No comments:

Post a Comment