Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Eat it: spinach and eggs





I woke up this morning dreaming of spinach and kale. No really, I did. I had one of those half-asleep-half-awake dreams and all I remember from it was spinach and kale.  So I knew I had to have some for breakfast. 


Spinach and Eggs on Toast
This is almost too easy for a recipe, but here's how I made it, along with my no-fail way to fry an over easy egg.
      -Start by toasting a piece of your favorite bread. In my case this is whole wheat toasted in the oven until just slightly browned.
      -Fry up an egg over medium heat in a pan coated with just a bit of olive oil. When the whites are just set but yellow is still jiggly (I can tell it's at this stage when I can easily move it about the pan),  sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper on egg, then very carefully flip the egg over, making sure not to break the yolk. This is always tricky for me, so I found that using two spatulas is easiest. Once it's flipped, turn heat off but leave the pan and egg where they are. This will result in a runny yolk, which is my favorite. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 
     -To assemble, put your toast on a plate. Top with lots of spinach, at least a good handful.  Gently place your egg on top. Grate a bit of cheese on top (I used white cheddar, but parmesan would have been wonderful) and finish it off with a very generous shake of Cholula


...grace...
-Succulents.
-My new garden!! I'm obsessed.
-Sunday Funday's consisting of brunch with friends and a Thunder game with my brothers and dad. 
-This Land Press.  I'm sure I've mentioned it before, and probably will do so often, but the current edition out is awesome.  I highly suggest you check it out online, or in print, if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment