Friday, September 7, 2012

Read it: Book Club



When I was younger, my dream was to own a book store and call it "The Book Club." It would be a small store, with wooden ladders and only a few copies of each book. But the best part would be that it would also have an area that was a lending library. Leave a book, take a book.  My dreams have shifted slightly, but the lending library is still there; in the front of a bakery, the lobby of a movie theater, the patio of a cafe.

Until those dreams come true, I have my real Book Club to enjoy. Even if those dreams do come true, the club will still be there. It's one of my favorite things, with some of my favorite people, and the only thing that sucks is that our lives are so busy that we've had to change our meetings to every 6 weeks instead of every 4.

Over the almost 3 years (really 3 years?!) since we've started our club, we've read a lot of books. Here's the (hopefully) complete list, in no particular order because I'm not that organized.

**The Help by Kathryn Stockett (this actually was the first book we read)
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
*The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
**Room by Emma Donoghue
Little Bee by Chris Cleave
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
**The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
*A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo and Lynn Vincent
**Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
The Paris Wife by Paula McLain
Sex at Dawn by Christopher Ryan and Caclida Jethra
*A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
**The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (book one)
The Romantics by Galt Niederhoffer
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Steve Hockensmith
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
**Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
**The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Crossing the Borders of Time by Leslie Maitland

Some of these books I liked (the ones with a *) and some I really really like (**), but even the ones that I didn't enjoy, or didn't finish, I'm still glad that I read them.

The next book on my list (not for Book Club, just for me) is Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn but first I have to finish A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness.

What books are on your bookshelf lately?

...graces...
.Working out with my step dad.
.Seeing lifelong friends become moms. It is seriously amazing. The last time I saw something so special was when I saw my brother become at dad, 12 years ago.
.My garden. After a hot and dry summer, I finally have three (3!!!) cubanelle peppers and four (4!!!!) jalapeƱos growing! And my basil is out of control! If only my tomato plants would catch up...
.My Rosie dog and her love of the lake.
.Nail polish in a variety of fall colors. So ready for fall. 







1 comment:

  1. I just finished Miss Peregrine! I didn't know you read it....thats one we havent discussed yet. Little Bee was one of my all time favorites, so I'm surprised you didn't like it. Oh, and you don't need to read Beautiful Boy. I can sum it up for you in one word...repetition!

    ReplyDelete