Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Snow Day Oatmeal



To be honest, I'm not a huge oatmeal fan. It's one of the things I always really want to like, but almost every time I make it I end up feeling pretty "meh" about it.  But when I woke up this morning to some big fat snowflakes, I had a major craving for oatmeal. So I made some and finally fell in love.

Snow Day Oatmeal - serves 1
1 cup water
1/2 c. old fashioned rolled oats, I used Bob's Red Mill
about 1/2 a banana, sliced small
1-2 tsp. maple syrup
1/4 c. finely chopped walnuts
1/4 c. coconut flakes

To make:  Put the water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. When that boils, add in your oats, stir it around and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook the oatmeal for 15-20 minutes until desired consistency is reached.  In the meantime, put the walnuts and coconut in a pan and toast over medium heat until lightly browned, shaking pan occasionally to prevent burning. Once the walnuts and coconut are toasted, remove from pan and set aside.  When oatmeal is done, put it in a bowl. Mix in bananas and about 1/2 of the walnut/coconut mix and a good drizzle of maple syrup. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated. Top with a bit more walnut/coconut mix and another drizzle of maple syrup and eat.




GRACE:
-  The tiny cat who lives in my backyard and garage. We call her Pickle (actually, Matt calls her Pickle, I call her Pickles) and Rosie loves her. Unfortunately we can't keep her because I'm crazy allergic to her and all cats. But while we find her a good home, she has made herself one here.
-  Green vegetables.
-  The subscription of Vanity Fair gifted to my by my mama.
-  Tulips from my Valentine.
-  Yogalosophy.  Mandy Ingber is the girl in Teen Witch who sings Top That, making this yoga DVD all the more enjoyable.







No comments:

Post a Comment